The project LIFE-IP CYzero WASTE – Intelligent monitoring and efficient waste reduction on the island of Cyprus has a fundamental priority to prevent the creation of waste and to promote reusing and recycling of used products.
As part of the project’s actions, innovative supporting recycling infrastructures, the Green Kiosks, will be established in Municipalities and Communities throughout Cyprus, with funding provided by the EU Recovery and Resilience Mechanism.
The Green Kiosks are small centres for sorting recyclable materials, aimed to facilitate citizens’ access to recycling, especially those who live in remote and mountainous areas of Cyprus that are not served by any other collective system and/or licenced waste materials collectors.
The Green Kiosks are specially structured and covered areas that receive recyclable materials such as paper, plastic, glass, and metal, as well as special material streams including small electrical and electronic devices, batteries, light bulbs/lamps, cooking oil and other materials for reuse.
Household recyclable materials are separated by citizens into proper reusable bags according to their type, which are then delivered to the operator of the Green Kiosk located in their community.
Recyclable materials, after being separated and processed at the Green Kiosk, go to licensed recycling units, while the reusable items collected (eg, books, toys, clothing) will be channelled to the reuse/repair centers that will be built within the framework of the LIFE-IP CYzero WASTE project, with the aim of their immediate reintegration into the economic cycle.
During working hours, the pre-sorted materials are delivered to the trained operator at the reception area of the Green Kiosk. The operator executes a visual inspection of the materials, weighs and records their relative quantity and enters this information into an electronic recording system. The operator takes care of any required further sorting and baling of the high added-value materials in the specially designed space for safekeeping. In the absence of the operator, the incoming materials to be recycled, can be deposited through the specially shaped holes located on the front face of the Green Kiosk.
Useful Information regarding the separation of recyclable materials:
The Green Kiosks accept recyclable materials that are clean and have been properly sorted into their main categories.
We separate recyclable materials from our households into:
• Beverage bottles
• Food containers
• Milk bottles
• Detergent bottles
• Newspapers & magazines
• Printing paper
• Cardboard food containers
• Paper packaging for liquids
• Cardboard boxes & paper bags
• Beverage and food cans
• Steel containers for liquids and food
• Aluminum packaging and containers
IV. Glass (whole – not crushed or broken)
• Beverage bottles (soft drinks, milk, other products)
• Glass containers (jars, containers)
V. Special Streams
• Light bulbs/lamps
• Small electrical and electronic devices
• Cooking oil
VI. Used Items for Reuse
Benefits of Participation:
• Ability to collect and divert from landfill up to 12,000 tons of materials per year from the 50 Green Kiosks
• Contribution to the reduction of waste ending up in landfills
• Reinforcement of source separation and recycling practices
• Enhancement of material recovery from waste, while reducing their management costs
• Contribution to the conservation of raw materials and energy
• Creation of secondary raw materials of high economic value
• Generation of new green job opportunities
• Contribution to achieving the National Targets, the Circular Economy Targets, as well as the Targets set by the EU
• Cultivation of Environmental Awareness
• Information and awareness-raising on issues related to the environment, resource efficiency, and proper recycling practices